President Kiir, Museveni Strengthen Bilateral Ties, Pledge Regional Stability

Image
President Kiir, President Museveni and VP. Bol Mel.  ‎South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir Mayardit and Uganda’s President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni have reaffirmed their commitment to strengthening bilateral relations and promoting regional peace and security. ‎ ‎During their meeting in Juba, the two leaders discussed pressing political and security issues affecting both nations and the broader East African region.  ‎ ‎The discussions covered a range of topics, including South Sudan’s upcoming elections, ongoing peace efforts, and the need for deeper economic collaboration between the two neighboring countries. ‎ ‎Focus on Political and Security Stability ‎South Sudan’s Foreign Minister Ramadan Mohammed Abdallah Goc stated that the meeting aimed to enhance cooperation in multiple sectors while addressing the political developments currently unfolding in the country.  ‎ ‎With South Sudan preparing for its first post-independence elections, Uganda’s continued support is seen as...

The Government Of South Sudan Contributes $15 Million Dollars To World Food Program 'WFP'

Finance Minister Hon. Dier Tong Ngor And WFP Country Director
Mary Ellen McGroarty

The government of South Sudan contributed a total of $15 Million Dollars ‘fifteen million dollars’ to the World Food Program ‘WFP’. The money was to be used to tackle and respond to emergency situations that might or is currently occurring in South Sudan.

 

The director of World Food Program, Mrs. Mary Ellen McGroarty made the announcement shortly after a signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of South Sudan in Juba on Wednesday.

 

Hon. Dier Tong Ngor, National Minister of Finance while addressing the media said that, part of the money allocated to the World Food Program was to help the South Sudanese who are fleeing the current violence in Sudan.

 

“Instead of us contributing $10 million, we agreed that 15 million will be implemented through the World Food Program. So out of the $114 million that we received from the IMF under the Food Shock Window Facility, we allocated 15 million to World Food. This event is timely and the Situation that is happening at the border cannot wait. After the signing of this agreement, we will immediately disburse that amount,” Hon. Dier said.

 

The National Minister Of Finance further said that, the $15 Million was a commitment that was pledged by the government of South Sudan during the UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY last year.

 

“The signing of today has a long historical background. Last year when our vice president Hussein Abdelbaggi addressed the UN General Assembly, he made a contribution on behalf of our government that South Sudan will contribute an amount of $10 million US Dollars to the work of the World Food Program and that was a recognition of the great service that the World Food has been providing to our people. When we were negotiation with IMF the Food Shock Window, we made sure that in the implementation of the resources that were given to us, that we will make an allocation first to meet our commitment that we pledged during the UN General Assembly,” Hon. Dier said.

 

World Food Country Director Mrs. Mary Ellen McGroarty while speaking to the media also said that, the initiative by the government of South Sudan to contribute money to the World Food Program will help address some of the food insecurity in South Sudan.

 

“This contribution from the government of South Sudan to WFP will help us to provide lifesaving food assistance, nutrition assistance to over 265,000 people. We will be able to do that by giving food packages or stimulating the local economy where markets are working to be able to get cash assistance,” Director McGroarty said.

 

“It will also give us much-needed injection into our school meals program. We all know children are the future of our country and anything that we can do to keep young children in school is so critical,” Director McGroarty said.

 

World Food Program Director Mary Ellen McGroarty further said that, the onset of the rainy season in the country has left many communities lacking food.

 

“It is also the beginning of the lean season and it is also the beginning of the rainy season when the food situation for many communities in South Sudan gets more difficult,” Director McGroarty said.

 

According to International Rescue Committee ‘IRC’ “Following intense conflict in Sudan, more than 50,000 people are estimated to have fled to South Sudan since the fighting began. People are arriving traumatised and with very little provisions. The IRC is providing protection and health services to displaced people in Maban, Jamjang and NBeG.” IRC.org

 

World Food Program ‘WFP’, They bring life-saving relief in emergencies and use food assistance to build peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Sudan National Security Officer Dies by Suicide in Magwi County, Eastern Equatoria State ‎

Tensions Rise as SPLA-IO Officers Defect to Government Forces

Raila Odinga Blocked from Meeting FVP Dr. Riek Machar as South Sudan Crisis Deepens, FVP Under House Arrest Amid Probe into General’s Killing ‎